Find an architect

1930s Telephone Exchange Conversion

Newry, Mourne and Down

Project Details

£100,000 to £249,999

Sited in AONB, Sited in SSSI area

Practice

Rural Studio

8a Jericho Road , Killyleagh , DOWNPATRICK , County Down , BT30 9TE

The Old Cable House is a former repeater station for the telecommunications network connecting with Port Erin in the Isle of Man via undersea cable, which served as a mid-point relay station in the telecommunication connection to mainland Britain. The building was constructed in 1929 and was much celebrated as an integral part of the modernisation of telecommunications, operating until it was decommissioned in the late 1980s. ? The building has been purchased for conversion to a family home for the use of the applicants. The proposals are intended to sympathetically restore and convert the existing structure in order to create a sustainable family dwelling whilst restoring and enhancing the Art Deco grandeur of the original 1920s construction. The existing window openings are to be re-instated, removing the bricked-up facings to reveal the original window proportions and glazing patterns around the building. The external walls are to be finished with a through-colour silicone based white render, giving the property an appearance reminiscent of the similar era Midland Hotel . The roof edge will be smartened with pressed zinc flashings to form a crisp modern edge, and with black rainwater goods to match.