RECONFIGURATION and RENOVATION of two early Victorian house in The Billings Conservation Area, Chelsea:
Formerly a complex of dark confined rooms, the first house has been stripped back to its 4 main walls, a 1960's extension demolished and rebuilt - to transform the interior and create a new contemporary home flooded with natural light.
Full width sliding glass doors on two levels and structural glass roof lights set flush in the roof terrace, promote a close relationship with the garden to further enrich the quality of the interior space. Carefully placed mirrored surfaces at high level subtly divert sunlight into the centre of the house. Bespoke furniture punctuates the flow of space, providing a screen between two adjoining living areas and display space for the client's sculptures. An additional living room at garden level can be quickly converted into private ensuite guest accommodation with the aid of sliding doors hidden within the partitioning.
On the strength of the first commission, work has now been completed on the extension and refurbishment of the house next door. After negotiation with Kensington and Chelsea, planning permission was granted for a full width two-storey rear extension in The Billings Conservation area.
Our client's brief:
- to realise the buildings full potential in planning and investment terms.
- maximise the perception of space.
- create a flexible layout to accommodate changing needs.
- provide a sustainable summer and winter environment.
- design a comfortable home fully integrated with the latest technology.
Also in Chelsea, wcjw have recently obtained planning permission for an additional (fourth) storey - a house in The Boltons Conservation Area - which included the removal of an historic legal covenant preventing rooftop extension.
FULL SERVICE: COMPETITIVE TENDER
- Concept Designs - Scheme Design
- Planning: Planning Permission and Certificate of Lawful Development.
- Production Information: Detail Design Drawings and Specifications.
- Building Regulations: Certification by Licensed Inspector
- Tender: Tender Action and Appraisal.
- Construction: Project Management.