Dominating the hillside above Haworth, the Grade II* listed St Michael and All Angels Church attracts thousands of visitors every year, through its historic connections to the Brontë Family. The novelists Emily and Charlotte Brontë are buried at the church where their father Patrick was the Vicar from 1820 until his death in 1861. Much of the church was rebuilt in 1879, although the base of the tower dates back to the sixteenth century.
The exposed hillside position, together with the roof reaching the end of its life had resulted in the fine interior and wall paintings suffering from the effects of water ingress. The church was awarded a repair grant under the English Heritage / HLF Repair Grant Scheme for Historic Places of Worship.
Together with quinquennial inspection reports, Calls Architecture provided full architects services for the works, including re-roofing, conservation of the wall paintings and sensitive fabric repairs. Hard cement pointing has been replaced in lime mortar, and the reinstatement of two missing Yorkstone pinnacles at the top of the tower has completed this local landmark.