Named St Matthew£s Church Vicarage the building built in 1820 and has been used as a vicarage since mid 19C with neighbouring Grade II* St Matthew's Church. Our client the PCC (parochial church council) wanted to reinvigorate the entire building with the attic floor to be newly used as a separated floor with own entrance, for church use in the community, and in the first five years to market tenants to refinance the debt of modernisation of whole building. The project was funded by parishioners lendings and borrowing from the Diocese.
The original roof floor had decrepit introverted small divided rooms. The roof had collapsed a foot downwards. The brief was to find a sense of space and make a simple layout. We extended a new separated staircase up to make an own street door and stair, pushed the roof upwards and stripped out interior walls and drop ceilings, exposing antique brickwork and roof void. A new acoustic floor sealed bare delivers an increase in area, with exposed /\/\ shaped roof spaces that advantage the building form.
The solution successfully achieved this with the introduction of a single volume, largely open plan space incorporating double height ceilings for different uses such as kitchen-dining, living room, storage, and working area. We sought to maximise the space and reveal its three dimensions in character to provide an inspiring living environment.